Posted on Jan 21, 2018
Last updated on Jan 24, 2018
Thank you for a wonderful MIT Science Olympiad Invitational 2018. Results, exams, and keys are all posted on the MIT SciOly website. As a reminder, these exams are only for use by the schools that competed at this invitational this year. We will be watermarking the exams by school so that we will know if tests were shared among schools. If we find a copy of your school's exams circulating, your school will not be invited back to future MIT Invitational Tournaments. We are very serious about this because we understand the sacrifices and resources required to attend this tournament, so the exams and keys will not be released to the general public until after Nationals 2018.
Here is the link to the results: tinyurl.com/mitscioly2018.
Log in here to download exams and keys. You should have received an email with username and password information. If you have not received this email, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please remind your students of the importance of not sharing these tests. If you were not at the awards ceremony, we will be sending your graded tests and any medals to your school.
Thank you again for coming! We truly enjoyed having everyone here!
~Katie Shade and Josh Segaran
Co-Directors, Science Olympiad at MIT
2018 Invitational Logistics
Posted on Dec 11, 2017
Last updated on Jan 18, 2018
With the MIT Invitational less than a week away, we have many updates regarding the logistics of the tournament:
- Please note that the location for Experimental Design has been changed to W20-306.
- The final schedule for the tournament is available. We tried to follow the National schedule as closely as possible with a few additional self sign-up events for flexibility.
- The official team list with team numbers and homerooms is also available.
- An annotated map of key tournament locations has been posted.
- We are using Avogadro for our tournament again this year. Self schedule sign-ups will open on January 4th, 2018 at 12:00PM ET. Here is a set of instructions on signing up for events with Avogadro. Please request to be a part of the tournament via Avogadro, and we will start adding you to the tournament this weekend.
- Competitors and coaches that will be on campus must fill out a Liability Release form and Photo Release form. For convenience, these forms can be submitted via Google Drive this year instead of on paper. It is important that every competitor and coach fill out both forms by January 4th, 2018.
- To help coaches ensure that all members of their teams have submitted both forms, check here to see who has submitted the Liability Release and here to see who has submitted the Photo Release.
- As part of the safety requirements for the tournament, we will need to temporarily put everyone on campus on the MIT Alert System in case of unexpected emergencies. This system will notify everyone via their cell phone if emergencies arise. In order to do this, we need each coach to send us a CSV file of full name and cell phone number of all coaches and participants at the tournament. Please fill out the template which was emailed out on December 15, save it as a .csv file, and send it back to us as soon as possible but no later than January 4th, 2018.
- We will be selling t-shirts again! Here is the form to pre-order shirts. The design is in the form as well, and they are $12 each. There will be a limited number of extra shirts available for sale at a higher price on tournament day, but as we have seen in past years, we highly recommend pre-ordering shirts to secure your size.
- The trial events this year will be Chem Clues, Code Busters, and Picture This. Teams may sign up for trial events using Avogadro when self-scheduling opens on January 4th. Any Science Olympiad student from the school may participate in a trial event (not limited to the 15 members for the main tournament)!
- Free boxed lunches will be provided for coaches and event supervisors on competition day. For students, there are many nearby restuarants with reasonably priced options. See the Logistics page for more details.
- Information about bus drop-off, pick-up, and parking locations can be found on the Hotels & Parking page.
- There will be tours offered for Science Olympiad on Friday, January 19th at 4:00PM ET starting in the lobby of Building 7 (at 77 Massachusetts Ave.). These approximately 1 hour and 15 minute tours are brought to us by the MIT Admissions office, so if any students are interested in learning more about MIT or the college process in general, we highly recommend participating in these tours!
Please let us know if you have any questions, and Happy Holidays from MIT Science Olympiad!
~Katie Shade and Josh Segaran
Co-Directors, Science Olympiad at MIT
This information can also be found under the 2018 Tournament Logistics page. As the tournament draws closer, this page will be updated with more details for day-of logistics.
2018 Invitational Registration
Posted on Sep 07, 2017
Dear Science Olympiad Coaches, Students, and Directors,
We are pleased to announce that we will be opening registration for our 2018 tournament on 9/13/17. The link to our registration form will be on the website in the next few days, but registration will not open until 7:00PM Eastern on 9/13/17.
Registration filled up very fast last year, so if you are interested in participating we suggest that you complete the form as soon as you can. You may review our registration and tournament policies here.
To highlight our most important policies, schools are allowed to register up to two teams. Only the first 15 schools that register two teams will reserve spots for both teams. Later schools may still register two teams, but only one spot will be reserved and the second team will be placed on a waitlist. We also reserve the right to close registration once 50 spots are reserved.
Katie Shade and Josh Segaran, Co-Directors
Science Olympiad at MIT
Fourth MIT Invitational Date Announced
Posted on Jul 15, 2017
We are pleased to announce that the fourth annual MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament will be held on Saturday, January 20, 2018, on the campus of MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Registration will open in mid-September.
All of the team-friendly and coach-friendly features of the 2017 tournament will be back in full force. We'll run all 23 Division C national events, including lab and engineering events, with a schedule mirroring the National Tournament schedule as closely as possible. All events will be written, reviewed, and run by Science Olympiad alumni currently at MIT, national tournament event supervisors, and/or former Science Olympiad competitors from the highest level of competition. This means that coaches will not be required to write tests or otherwise volunteer at the invitational, leaving them free to focus solely on coaching their own teams. And, of course, competitors will experience the beauty and craziness of MIT.
We are incredibly proud that the 2017 MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament attracted teams from across the United States. Ten of the top fifteen teams at this year’s National Tournament attended our invitational. We are also proud to have hosted a bevy of new and up-and-coming teams for whom the MIT invitational was one of their first invitationals, giving them a rare chance to field-test their teamwork and skills in advance of their respective state tournaments. As always, we will strive to make every event challenging yet accessible to all.
Early on, the founders of Science Olympiad at MIT decided that the directorship of the MIT tournament would change each year to encourage fresh thinking and ensure the sustainability of the organization. As we say good luck to Stephen Tang (class of 2017) on his future endeavors, we are also excited to announce that Josh Segaran (2019) will be joining Katie Shade (2018) as co-director for this year’s tournament.
The goal of Science Olympiad at MIT remains to enrich the Science Olympiad experience of high school students across the country. To that end, we hope to see you all at the tournament in January!
Registration opens on September 13, 2017.
To receive updates and tournament information, join our mailing list.